No-bake Lactation Bites Recipe
This recipe is adapted from one for energy bites! It has been modified slightly to include brewers yeast to aid in increasing breast milk production. The original recipe for Energy Bites can be found at Smashed Peas and Carrots Blog.
- 1 cup oats (old fashioned or instant)*
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed (flaxmeal)*
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3 tbs brewer’s yeast*
- 1 tsp vanilla
*These are the galactagogue ingredients that help increase milk production. You can read more about Galactagogues in this post.
- Mix all ingredients together
- Refrigerate for about a half hour
- Roll into bite-sized balls
- (Optional) Roll balls in coconut for a tasty twist and reduce the sticky mess on your hands!
- Store in an airtight container (I refrigerate them)
1. You can pretty much substitute any of these ingredients to suit your dietary needs! Basically any dry for a dry or agave etc for the honey. I plan on using cranberries instead of chocolate chips next time.
2. Brewers Yeast does have a bitter flavor (even the de-bittered varieties) You may use less to suit your taste. This will also depend on the brand you use.
Where to find Flaxmeal and Brewers Yeast
I found Flaxmeal in the baking section at Walmart, near the cornmeal.
Brewers Yeast can be bought at many health food stores or online. You want the powder not capsules or tablets! I found some on Amazon and ultimately bought it at PipingRock.com for $5 with free shipping in the US!